International Shipping -Duty/Customs

I’m a buyer and along with the seller we had to do a lot of research on Duty costs, Courier expectations and even Customs and we’re still not sure we got it correct. I wish there was someone at Stillwhite who could’ve helped us with our questions. We both had our fiancés/husbands looking into it. We ended up going with DHL, but I wish there was more information on Stillwhite on cost expectations from country to country. The link in the FAQ is just a generic government website duty page that pertains to food, documents, furniture, etc. We both spent days reading up on duty and courier fees, so we knew what to charge/pay for shipping that would be fair, and how much I’d expect to pay just to obtain the dress. It’s still a mystery. I wish Stillwhite had a program like Poshmark where the label is paid for during the purchase stage and they’ve taken care of the estimated shipping costs once they have your shipping info.

Or if there was even a page that shows how other purchasers have gone about international shipping and why they chose that courier; and what to expect. (Government postage you have to pick up at the post offices and pay all the duty fees there, DHL pays duty upfront so you get it quicker but you have to pay DHL duty fees, and there’s different costs associated with price of the dress) It was a lot of work...did anyone else have challenges with purchasing an international dress, or tips/recommendations on how not to go about it?

2 Responses

Duty charges are a bit of a minefield, I found a useful duty calculator

https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

HS code I used for dress is 6204.43

you get 5 free calculations each day

We went with DHL from Australia to US. Dress was $1500 DHL shipping was roughly $200 it showed up in less than a week, no duty or import fees were charged. I called DHL once it shipped because the Tracking advised there might be fees; but their customer support confirmed there was none. Hope this helps someone else! Love the dress!

Sign in to participate in this discussion.
Excellent service, great selection and website a pleasure to use.
More
buyer
Anonymous Buyer
3 weeks ago
It was a good platform to sell the dress, made it much easier!
More
seller
Anonymous Seller
3 days ago
Good news, Stillwhite is available in your country. Switch to www.stillwhite.com